Friday, June 24, 2005

All Spin Zone & Wet Fields Ahoy

The All Spin Zone

A late one today - this leads to a grand blog site called the "All Spin Zone" and with the latest headline reading "Premature Ejaculation - A Republican Condition" I couldn't resist giving it an overdue plug.

It's Glastonbury time again this weekend. I often wish I was there but not this time. The British weather has changed and they've been drowned out by thunderstorms and flooding. They do have my every sympathy. I was at the very first Glastobury festival, (actually called the Glastonbury Fayre in those days) under pretty much indentical conditions. It was eventually a wonderful few days but I remember arriving in a deluge of rain and rivers of mud that rendered travelling speed around the entrance to less than a mile per hour. Nor was settling in and pitching camp much of a thrill. A great youthful adventure in retrospect but not something I would care to do now.

These days of course it is a very commercial and streamlined event, but unlike many similar gatherings the money at least always goes to good causes. The irony is that such a streamlined operation (and I speak as a former site manager at such events) will probably hinder the improvisation required to cope with such adverse conditions so let's hope the spirit of the place endures. It is after all, the one music-based festival that remains so attractive that it can sell-out tickets before anyone even knows what artistes have been booked.

I'll be immersed in the atmosphere courtesy of the BBC and the comfort that provides.

Later.

No comments: